After you have created a Role Play program, you can start adding Role Plays. A Role Play consists of the following components:
- A preparation (optional): Using video, images and/or text, the required theory can be explained here. You can check if the trainee has understood said theory by setting up multiple choice questions.
- The exercise (required): this component is essential to a Role Play. This is the main exercise video that the trainee sees and is required to react to. The theory that was explained in the preparation can be put to the test right away. A trainee can rerecord their answer an unlimited number of times until they are completely satisfied with their recording.
- Appraisal questions (required): After recording their reaction to the exercise, the trainee will be stimulated to analyze their performance by filling in a few appraisal questions. The recording can be replayed and the trainee checks the components that they have successfully touched upon in their answer. After that, they can try the exercise again, or share it with friends.
To create a Role Play, follow these next steps:
1. Go to Content in the Role Play program
Click on Programs in the menu, then on the title of your program, and then on the tab Content.
2. Click on the + next to ‘Week 1' to add a Role Play.
You will then arrive at the page where you can start creating the Role Play!
3. Creating your Role Play
The first field you can fill in is the title of the Role Play. This is the title that is seen by the trainee, so make sure that it conveys the purpose of the exercise.
There is also the option of adding a preparation to the Role Play. Click on Preparation to add content to the preparation.
You can attach a video or an image, explaining the theory with the option of adding accompanying text.
There is also the option to add multiple choice questions with the purpose of testing the trainee's understanding of the theory. You can do so by clicking on Example/question 1 to add and edit a multiple choice question. Fill in the questions (including a video, if you would like to), and a few answers below it. Check the 'correct' checkbox next to the correct answer. It’s possible to mark several answers as correct!
It is possible to add a second multiple choice question.
Role Play I
When the preparation is finished, you can start filling in the exercise.
First off, choose how the trainee will be recorded: Camera (video and audio) or Microphone (audio only).
Click on Upload in the Exercise video area in order to upload an exercise video. This is the video that the trainee has to react to. After saving, the image will be cropped for different devices, ensuring that the video will be displayed optimally on every device. If you don’t want the video to be cropped, you can check the box Don’t crop the video for mobile located under Options (advanced). You also have the ability to set the trainee's maximum recording time (the standard 60 seconds is enough most of the time).
If you would like to use the autocue option, you can check the box at Autocue. An extra field will appear, where you can type the autocue text that will appear for the trainee. If you check the box Allow trainee to modify this text, the trainee will be able to change the text to his or her liking.
You can then fill in the situation (what is happening exactly, what information is needed to do the exercise, context) and the assignment (what is expected of the trainee). The trainee will see these two texts before they start the exercise.
Under Appraisal questions, you can formulate questions that will be used by the trainee to assess their performance. The trainee is presented with these questions after recording their reaction to the exercise. If the trainee has added friends and asks them for feedback, they will use these questions as well to assess the reaction video. An example of such a question might be: “I ask a clear follow-up question.”
A competence should be selected for each appraisal question. This enables the trainees, as well as the coaches and administrators, to keep track of the trainee's level regarding different skills, and how these skills develop during and after the program.
If you feel like a competence is missing, you can add a new one yourself by clicking on 'add'.
After you have filled in the required fields, click on Save. The videos will be uploaded and you will return to the overview page of the program. You can keep on adding Role Plays this same way! After you have added every Role Play, you can start adding trainees.